Sunday 10 June 2012

Wrapping Up an Amazing Experience

June 10th @ High Noon – Tomorrow will be a busy day as we pull into Bamfield, swap crews, and for those like me who are leaving the ship, catch a float plane flight back to Victoria to reunite with loved ones on dry land.

I certainly got my ‘sea legs’, but I have found that there is still always a mild, but acute feeling of the floor, walls and room bouncing around in constant motion, that doesn't quite ring true to the brain. It may take a few days for my inner ears to get used to a non-pitching horizontal, but I’m looking forward to solid ground.

I may post a comment or thought from shore over the remainder of the cruise, but at this point I will turn the e-soapbox over to Goksenin Sen, the ‘Ship2Shore’ participant for the second half of the Spring cruise. Goksenin is a PhD candidate in the Faculty of Education at the University of Victoria, and she is in for an equally amazing experience focusing on Folger Passage and the very exciting Endeavour Ridge (Part of me is highly envious as it is at Endeavour where ROPOS will be able to get up close and personal with hydrothermal vents, otherwise known as 'black smokers'!) I wish her fair winds and calm seas!

I’ll leave you with two final images below. The first is a self-portrait (see if you can find me) taken over the bow of the ship on a day about a week ago when the we were under sail and the water was like liquid glass. The second is a combination of two images I have called ‘Fire and Ice’ which shows both the brilliant colour and constantly changing nature of the open ocean.

Thanks following along with my portion of the Ship2Shore blog, and I hope you’ve enjoyed my take on the people, places, and excitement of ‘Wiring the Abyss’ with NEPTUNE Canada! Like you, I’ll continue my adventure following the blogs, photos, video, and Twitter updates from my laptop at home.

Cheers!

- Scott 

Blog post and photos by Scott Doehler 
Marine Educator 




































No comments:

Post a Comment