Wednesday 13 June 2012

Hi!

This is Goksenin. My name means “sky belongs to you, sky is yours” in Turkish (which is an unusual name even in my home country, so I got used to having different versions). I lived in Germany earlier, I was Gox there, here in Canada I go by Sky, so please feel free to call me Sky:)



I am the marine educator on board for the next two weeks. I will be writing Ship2Shore during the second leg of Neptune Canada: Wiring the Abyss 2012. Thanks to Scott Doehler, the previous marine educator on board, for providing his amazing experiences during the first leg of the voyage.

My background is physics engineering and science education. Currently, I am working towards a PhD in Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Victoria. I look forward to sharing my ocean adventures and marine science activities with you. I see a great value if we can have an interactive process during these two weeks, so please feel free to contact us for your questions and feedback at the education email of Ocean Networks Canada oceaned@uvic.ca





Why is the ocean blue? The main reason is that it reflects the color of the sky*. In this adventure, while the ocean is reflecting the color of the sky, Sky will try reflecting the color of the ocean to you:)

Stay tuned!

Goksenin Sen – Sky
Marine Educator


Actually, the ocean is not always blue. It can be blueish, grayish, or greenish depending on the light coming from sky and the amount and types of plankton living within it.  Sunlight contains seven colors of the rainbow; some are absorbed by the ocean and some are reflected. Water absorbs wavelengths with the lowest energy and reflects ones which carry more energy. Red light has the lowest energy, but the longest wavelength. So we cannot see much red in the ocean, and also the tones of yellow, orange, but mostly blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment