Sunday 27 May 2012

Final Preparations Before Departure

May 27th @ 5:35pm - One of my students asked me what kind of restaurants would be on the ship, to which I replied that it really isn't that kind of ship! This is a working vessel, and my first impressions certainly confirm that statement in spades. After saying my goodbyes to my wife and three children, I walked past one of Canada's (in)famous submarines in dry dock, and boarded the Thomas G. Thompson, my home for the next 15 days.

The ship is a frenzied hive of activity, with people moving rapidly through the narrow passageways and labs, and across the open decks, while equipment is being loaded, stowed, installed, unpacked, hooked-up, tested, etc. I have met new people constantly and hope I can remember everyone's name. After "Hi" and the usual exchange of names, the next questions is inevitably: "What is your role on this mission?"  It looks like a fascinating group of scientists and engineers, and I am looking forward to spending some time with the many folks I've only had 5 minutes to get to know so far, and explore further their connection with this voyage of discovery.

One thing I noticed right off the hop, is that just about every desk, deck, and working surface on the ship has anchor bolts strategically placed so that everything from computer monitors to huge equipment containers can be tied, strapped, or bungied down. If this is an indication of what is to come, perhaps I should be taking that Gravol or ginger root right now!

We are due to leave port soon, and the various rumblings in the bowels of the ship, and an announcement over the P.A. system that the gangplank is about to be pulled up, would indicate that she's getting ready!

Blog post by Scott Doehler
Marine Educator

No comments:

Post a Comment